Disney buys “Star Wars” for $4 Billion

©Disney

The Walt Disney Compay has agreed to buy Lucasfilm from George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock, a deal that promises a new “Star Wars” film in 2015. With this deal, he has now become the second-largest individual owner of Disney shares, with a 2.2 percent stake.

This agreement marks the third time in less than seven years that Disney has bought the rights to a major movie company. In early 2006, Disney bought Pixar from the “Toy Story” creator, as well as acquiring Marvel in the summer of 2009.

Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger told analysts on Tuesday that they plan on releasing at least three more movies in the “Star Wars” saga, which ranks as one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. The last “Star Wars” movie to be released was “Revenge of the Sith” in 2005 (episode III in the series).

“Star Wars,” one of the most popular movie franchises of all time, has had a huge affect on people throughout the world. To the fans, it is more than a movie, it is a lifestyle.

Will Luke Skywalker be in the next “Star Wars” film? Many fans have been wondering, but the question has not yet been answered.

Lucas released a video on www.starwars.com stating that he has already planned and outlined the story lines for the next three films. Lucas will be a creative consultant for the upcoming films, but stated in the video that his main reason for giving up the rights was simply because he has a personal desire to leave the mainstream industry.

“It’s now time for me to pass ‘Star Wars’ on to a new generation of filmmakers,” he said in a statement released Tuesday.

“I’m moving away from the company. I’m moving away from all my businesses. I’m finishing all my obligations, and I’m going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies. I’ve always wanted to make movies that were more experimental in nature, and not have to worry about them showing in movie theaters,” Lucas told the fan magazine Empire earlier in the year.

George Lucas, one of the most successful movie directors of all time, feels that it is finally time to give up the rights to Star Wars so he can move on with his life.

Fans all around the world are excited and everyone will be anticipating the new film in 2015.

“I can’t wait for the new movie! I’m a huge fan of the series and I am anticipating the new movies,” said St. Paul’s senior Matt Esquivel.

“George Lucas is a very smart man and a great director. I’m sure he will make another great movie in 2015,” said junior Austin George.

In addition to the “Star Wars” movies, Disney now also has the rights to the “Indiana Jones” series, although Disney hasn’t announced any plans yet for the franchise.

No comments yet.

Comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: